|Name||Ravi Kant Upadhyayv|
MERITS AND AWARDS:
Awarded UGC-CSIR Junior Research Fellowship for research in Biological Sciences qualified through an entrance examination (NET) conducted jointly by University Grants Commission (UGC), New Delhi and Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR), New Delhi for junior Research fellowship and eligibility Lectureship in May 1991. Received two years JRF and three years SRF.
1. Handled Modern Scientific Instruments related to protein purification GLC, HPLC, GC-MS, Spectrophotometer, Centrifuges, Blots, Hybridization PCR, transformation, RIA, ELISA, Dot blots and electrophoresis.
2. Can handle efficiently insect and mammalian cell lines. Establishment of primary cell lines from tissues, Media preparation, filtration and cryopreservation of cells.
3. Extraction and purification of insect hormones and their estimation.
4. Can do xenobiotic studies on pesticides and their microbial degradation, release and bound residues.
5. Have good knowledge of gene and protein database and can perfectly do protein conformational analysis and can do annotation work for gene sequences well.
6. Had been worked in Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Pusa New Delhi, 110012 on IRGSP (International Rice Genome Sequencing Program) and kept engaged in sequencing chromosome no. 11 of rice genome (Nippon bare cultivar).
7. Having full vivid knowledge of genome sequencing both genomics and proteomics. Can prepare cDNA library and genomic libraries.
8. Can generate antibodies and utilize them for immunochemical detection of various bimolecular in the cells and tissues.
9. Can work on antimicrobial activity of natural plant products.
10. Can do operational work to control termite menace in the field by using and applying various plant origin pesticides.
11. Can design new courses and experiments at graduate, post graduate level for testing the effects of certain carcinogens in animals and on environment.
12. Can work independently on various national and international R & D projects to eliminate communicable diseases.
Ph D: Insect Biochemistry Research Topic: "Cholesterol absorption in locusts". Doctorate Degree awarded in Dec. 1997 from University of Delhi under joint registration with National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi.
Teaching following courses:-
Five courses: Tools and Techniques in Biology (b) Comparative Animal Physiology, (c) Embryology (d) Immunology and Gene expression (e) Environmental Science
Under graduate level
Two courses: (a) Evolution and ecology (b) Cell physiology and elements of Biotechnology
Teaching Research methodology to Ph.D students
Reviewer for Peer reviewed Journals: 25 international journals
Editorial board: Member of editorial board of 3 journals
Summary : Total: 107 (Research and Review articles: 107; General articles: 7)
My main thrust area is cholesterol metabolism in insects, mainly role of cholesterol binding proteins in cholesterol transport and absorption. Termite control by using different plant based formulations, evaluation of antimicrobial action of plant natural products, purification of animal toxins, its toxicity determination and neutralization by using polyclonal antibodies in animal models. The goal is to develop poly-specific single antibody as a prophylactic agent for treatment of envenomated patients.